[Transcription] Interview with Karen Agustiawan, Presiden Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pertamina (Persero)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*This interview was conducted when Karen Agustiawan was still appointed as the President Director and CEO of Pertamina Persero. This transcription is only for educational purposes. Should you need or want to quote this transcript, kindly send email to gunawan.indra28@gmail.com for permission.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Global Economy

I think how I see the global economy depends on how the global economy survives until the end of 2012. But I see it’s going to be challenging for the first three years because of the decreasing of the economic growth of certain countries. They’ve already declared that, you know, China will certainly decrease the economic growth, India, and even Singapore. But after 2 years when we have overcome the situation I hope that it’s going to be better.   

Improving Operational Effectiveness

I am very optimistic with the Pertamina. Basically, the growth of Pertamina will depend on first, the human capacity. So, like any other companies, human capacity is the key point for the company’s growth. Second, I think is the research and development. I think in this coming anniversary, we are going to launch the University of Pertamina, which we working together with the Auckland University for geothermal because we see that the growth of Pertamina will not only be in conventional but also unconventional.

Adapting to Disruption    

 I think it boost down to how the CEO actually reacts toward changes. Because that is, you know, I believe, “seeing is believing”. Because you know, I have to set the example. And I think the board needs to set the example for its director, I need to go down that way. Because I think this is, what is, what I see in the past lacking in Pertamina. So I think, the role model of CEO, I think, place a very important factor in the company.
 


















*The interview is conducted by PWC, transcribed by Indra Gunawan, December 26th, 2016.    

Comments

Popular Posts